Protection for individuals
Preventing financial identity theft
By introducing some precautions into your everyday life, you can take an active role in reducing the risk of your identity being stolen.
Prevention is the best defence
If your identity is stolen, it can impact your ability to get a loan, credit card or a mortgage - until the matter is resolved.
Take our quiz to learn about how to maximise the security of your personal details.
Or read these fact sheets for advice on how to protect yourself from identity theft and recognise the warning signs.
How to get a copy of a fact sheet
You can either:
- Download a PDF or Word version of the fact sheets, especially designed for easy printing; or
- Read it online using the links above; or
- If you would like to obtain a free copy of the printed fact sheet please contact the ABA:
- E-mail: send your e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (don’t forget to include your full name and mailing address)
- Telephone: 1800 009 180 (freecall)
- Post: write to us at Australian Bankers’ Association, Level 3, 56 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000.
To make the best use of PDF files make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Reader. You can download this free from Adobe's website at www.adobe.com